Friday, April 20, 2012

Passion or Pay?

Hi everyone! So I've been off of work for a couple of months now due to needing wrist surgery, and I'll be back I full swing this summer. 
At first I was really down about not working. At this point of my career, I want to work very hard, continue learning and building my resume. So not doing what I love really took a toll on me. I get cabin fever easily lol! 

So instead of vedging out in front of the tv with a bag of chips, I decided to start blogging, work out and STUDY! 

At first I felt like I wasn't doing anything productive, but the more I studied, the more I realized how I kind of should be grateful and take advantage while I can. 

I get impatient at times, and build an idea of how my career should be and run with that. I realized how wrong I was! I love blogging and love being able to share information of that which I'm really passionate about. 

So my hubby had a meeting with the CEO of the company he works for, and he gave him such sound advice. Focus on our job and your passion, and the rest will follow. It's so true because I see people in my field who want to get rich quick, be on tv and all of that other jazz. That's fine, but don't do it for the money. If you discipline yourself and do not only the hard work, but the tedious work (like studying), everything will fall into place. 

I have been reading so much and applying new tips and techniques to my own work. Instead of focusing on the creativity, focus on perfecting the basics first, and share that knowledge with others!

As I continue my journey I want to share with everyone the things I am learning. I don't want the type of relationship with my readers as if I'm coming across as some know it all. I am a human being, who is extremely passionate about the culinary world, and I'm absorbing knowledge every day. 

I've realized I'm not waisting precious time as I'm home. I am progressing. I give myself limited time to practice. I am in pain at times and over do it. So instead of becoming frustrated and pushing myself to do the things I WANT to do, I push myself to do the things I'm not as excited about, or think I'm not excited about. 

Assumption can damper ambition at times. I assumed that reading would be like culinary school all over again. A bunch of books with the words that appear I say "blah blah blah blah blah".

Reading bookss by chefs I admire has opened new doors for me. You get an insight of how they are and how they became who they are, and it's inspiring. If its possible, I want to do the same thing. Following and working toward your dreams has been life changing, and I want others to experience that happiness. 

I have read and watched enough cooking info that comes across so fabricated. I think it's because the authors are more focused on being successful, rather than sharing their passion and knowledge from the heart. 

I guess I've been doing the right thing all along, and shouldn't stress on perfection, but progression. I've learned from some of the most amazing chefs first hand by talking to them, or reading their work, that perfection is never achieved in your own mind. If it is, you've stopped learning. Once you've stopped learning, you've lost that fire. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment