Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ceviche Diversity (and a vegan variation)

Here in the California, when people think ceviche, they think Mexican food. However, the history of ceviche goes way back to old world cooking, and is not limited to Latin American cuisine or technique.

Though there is much dispute between Peru and Ecuador on who came up with the concept first, the method of cooking fish in lemon/citrus can be traced back to Spanish and Mediterranean influence, and was thought to have originated this method. Others claim it originated in Arabic custom.  Perhaps they all did it at the same point in time, and honestly, as long as it tastes good, eat it and relax.

Ceviche is much more diverse than people assume. It can be kept rustic, or classed up, veganized. Whatever your preference, the ingredients should be kept fresh, simple and memorable.

Most people assume ceviche is raw fish with salsa. It isn't. It's a method of cooking with acid (lime/lemon are most popular).

I remember in culinary school, I made the vegan ceviche version for my Cuisine Across Cultures Class. I remember both chef instructors arguing over me getting a point docked off for the following:

I didn't add olives...

I thought, wtf, there are no olives in any ceviche I had growing up, or saw being made...

 One chef instructor said, there aren't any olives in ceviche. The other, oh yes there are!!!!

Technically they were both correct. Though it is not mandatory to add olives (green olives that have been pulsed to a thick pulp) it is more common than assumed. I learned this on my own much after my culinary school experience. I respect both of those chefs to this day as well.

So I thought I'd share two recipes with you. One using Bay Scallops (since they're so small, you won't have to tear up a gorgeous, huge Eastern scallop). I love classing things up, as long as it isn't always too complicated. I think it's important to share ideas that are easy to manage for those who don't have all of the time in the world.

I also have a vegan variation, which was passed down to me by my mother in law, who is from Mexico.

When buying ingredients, make sure they are fresh. Scallops should not be slimy, or pink. They should be firm, a creamy color, and smell like the ocean. Any seafood that smells really fish, should be avoided. Believe it or not, fish shouldn't smell fishy. Fish and shellfish should smell like the fresh ocean.

Bay Scallop Ceviche:

1 lb bay scallops
1/4 red onion (paper thin sliced is how I prepared it, but cut it according to your preference)
1/2 serrano pepper (small green chiles, also cut paper thin, seeds and ribs removed)
1 Roma tomato, seeded (seeds taken out)
1/2 English cucumber (just use whatever cucumber you'd like)
about 2 TBS chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed recommended)
Sea Salt TT (to taste/preference)

corn tortilla strips, fried for garnish. I don't recommend using flour, because flour tortillas absorb so much oil, and become really soggy and chewy.

Place fresh scallops in a dish with lime juice. Set aside for about an hour or two. Though I am a vegetarian, I do taste my food. Unfortunately, I am allergic to shellfish, so my husband, who has an amazing palate, tastes this stuff for me.

Drain some of the lime juice.

Add remaining ingredients, and let marinate for another 20 minutes or so. Don't worry, your scallops will not be over cooked. Adjust seasoning, add more or omit any ingredient to your preference. Remember, recipes are guidelines.

Garnish with tortilla strips, which I fried in canola oil. Use whatever oil you prefer.



I personally am not a fan of serving anything in a martini glass. I had to work with what resources I had available though! It isn't a big deal, it's just a personal preference issue of mine! LOL!!!


Vegan Ceviche Variation:

As I said, my mother in law, who is an amazing cook, and whom I shut up and learn from, taught me this recipe. So I will not and cannot take credit for it's creation. It is totally one of my favorite super healthy dishes to munch on, especially in the summertime.

1 cauliflower
3 Roma tomatoes (she leaves the seeds in, so I accept it)
1 jalapeno (she also leaves in the seeds and ribs. She's hardcore when it comes to spicy food!)
1 avocado
1/2 cucumber
about who knows who cares TBS of chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1/2 diced white onion
2 cups lemon juice (its a lot of cauliflower come on!)
Kosher salt to taste

She partially cooks the cauliflower whole. It will not yet be fork tender, and have a lot of give. After it is cooled down completely, bust out the lemon juice and let it chill for about 4 hours.

Dice remaining ingredients to your size, for this dish I recommend it a little more hearty.

Add remaining ingredients, and enjoy. The longer it marinates, the better it gets. The cauliflower does not break down either after a couple of days (not that it really lasts THAT long)




So there ya have it.

Amber~





No comments:

Post a Comment