Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lemonade



Hey everyone! I know it seems kind of silly to blog about how to make lemonade. Honestly though, I remember failed attempts before I knew the wonders of simple syrup, and before I realized that lemonade needs lemons and water. Years ago, I sadly squeezed the shit out of a billion lemons and mixed in sugar and thought, "BOOM! Done!" That was a disaster... 

My kids and I made some lemonade today, along with some experiments. I was inspired to blog about it and share with you guys.  We learned why we (as in ME) should make simple syrup instead of mixing, or shaking in sugar. This was a really fun project. So simple, and such a good memory. I love fun projects like this to share with my kids. I do not allow my kids to be near the cooking process when using sugar. Even though a simple syrup does not need to be at 212 degrees F/100C (boiling point) it is still dangerous. I allowed my kids to measure out the sugar and water (always a 1:1 ratio). For example: 1 cup of water & 1 cup of granulated sugar/ 2 cups & 2 cups etc.  
Do not allow children in your kitchen when cooking sugar. 


Ingredients:
For Simple Syrup: 1 cup sugar (granulated or raw not powdered) & 1 cup water
4 Cups Water (Bottled or filtered preferred) 
1 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)

Add your simple syrup ingredients to a small pot. 1 cup of water and 1 cup sugar. Stir gently, and add to a very low heat setting on your stove. This does not need to ridiculously reduce for this recipe. It just needs to heat up, and sugar should be dissolved completely. Set aside and let cool. It will not thicken up like a caramel. It isn't even close to that stage. 

If you're using fresh lemons, make sure all seeds are discarded. Combine everything together once simple syrup is cooled down (about 10 minutes or so) and enjoy! 


Why Simple Syrup? Why Can't I just add sugar? 

We make a simple syrup when sweetening any drinks such as cocktails, sweet teas, etc. No mater how long or quickly you shake or stir in sugar, it won't completely dissolve. This is the experiment I showed my kids today:
I mean, I admit, as a kid, this was awesome at the bottom of my cereal bowl. (yea I was one of those kids who snowed my Cheerios in sugar) My kids do not even know such an idea exists *crosses fingers* 

So there you have it. If you want to class up your lemonade, I suggest adding things like, a sprig or two of fresh French lavender. (French lavender is light in color and not potent like the darker version (Spanish lavender). You could use that if you wish, but don't use more than one sprig per gallon. Yes... I know this from experience. 
You could also add fresh basil leaves, and or fresh basil leaves and watermelon juice, omitting the 4 cups of water. You could use Meyer lemons if available in your area. They are darker in color, and have a slight different taste and aroma. Almost like an essential oil potency which is really gorgeous. I didn't use Meyer today. 
Meyer lemons are to the left. 
So many possibilities. That's one of the beautiful things about simplicity. You can leave it alone in it's pure state, or you can be inspired. 

Enjoy! 

Amber~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment