Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to be a Progressive Blogger

Hey Everyone!

Since I started blogging, I've had so many fun opportunities. Its rewarding that my passion and hard work are taking notice. I've had a few interviews, advertorial offers, blog & website features, a small magazine article that will be out next year, and am in the process of building my own enterprise. I had to learn how to come out of my shell though, and be proud. Instead of embarrassed of what others may think. I knew it would happen by believing in myself. I was afraid to admit that.

 I've had a few people recently ask me what my "secret" is. Here are a few tips I can think of as to what I do in order to put out my best effort. If you think I'm going to give you some magical advice and get popular/rich quick tactics and poorly strategized bullshit, stop reading. I work my fuckin ass off because I'm driven by my love of what I do, which is cook and obsess over my skin.

This is about progression, not instant results.

1. Educate. I do not create with the intention to impress you. I am expressing my creativity, and teaching that which I know, how & why. If you are passionate, you're going to want to learn before you teach, and learn as you're teaching. I'm a culinary graduate, have experience in the industry, but I study EVERY day. I learn from books, the little Mexican lady in the bakery, home cooks, international storefront owners, estheticians, make up gurus, my family, and the professionals. If you post pictures, learn how to take them. I had an amazing food styling experience, and learned SO much about photography. It inspired me to continue learning about it. I taught myself basic & intermediate HTML in order to bring my blog to life.  Knowledge is every beat of life. You learn what to do, and what to avoid.

2. Spam. I don't have to push myself out there. A tweet or a Facebook post is fine, but I don't find it tasteful nor tactful to push my content on anyone else to read. Desperation is offsetting, and in my opinion, shows a lack of confidence. If your doing an advert or an advert for a contest, totally understandable and appropriate if it's tasteful & minimal.

3. Write for yourself. I don't feel pressured to pump out material. Consistency is important to an extent. If your mind and brain are on the same wavelength, creativity will come naturally. No need to panic because you didn't post anything today. Sharing your personal life in order to try to connect with your audience wont work if you don't mean it. Using it as a tactic to get more hits or likes wont get you far. Don't think about that shit.  Do it because it's something you feel like doing.

4. Confidence. Don't worry about what other people think. Especially people you know in person. They can be the most critical, and plant self doubt, not the trollers. They will be the ones who say "Oh, look they think they're all bad now." Who cares! Stale and Hallmark as it sounds, your true loved ones will support you with a whole heart. The sour lemons need to be out of your mind. This was something I had to learn the hard way. I'm no longer afraid to say "HEY WORLD!" I'm happier now!  Why let other people's rude energy dilute your self esteem?

5. Connect. Connect with other bloggers, with the INTENT OF APPRECIATING THEIR WORK. I have had to delete quite a few comments from people spamming. "This looks delicious. Look at MY BLOG for recipes too!"  I engage with readers or anyone who asks me questions on Twitter. I do it because I am giving out info, and want others to learn. That one little tidbit of info changes your life.  If you can do that for others, there is a sense of satisfaction. Remember, you aren't in competition with other bloggers. If you are, you should sign off. Sorry! Be in competition with your past self, not the super blogger you wish to become. Connect with genuine intent.

6. Be a backseat money driver. Money will come in due time, but should NOT be your primary focus.  Do adverts that you truly support, and have fun with it. Sponsorship is a great opportunity, but let those things happen on their own terms. I am a firm believer in the law of attraction. Put out good energy into your work, and good things will come. Opportunities open new doors for new inspiration and it's a chain reaction. However, if your heart isn't in the right place, it wont be in your favor. I see so many bloggers who are pumping out bullshit in order to get noticed. Make money from blogging. Don't blog in order to make money.

7. Detail.  Many writers aren't believers in reading their own work soon after, but for me its vital in order to shorten my posts. I get carried away.  If it looks like a fuckin textbook, trim it.  Do not over style your food. Food should look clean on a plate, but maintain a soul. It can be avant garde, but you need to FEEL that in your spirit  in order for it to translate. Put a gorgeous model into a crazy outfit, but if the model does not become that character, it wont translate onto photo. Same with food. Don't force it. It shows!  I had a hell of a time plating when taking my contemporary course. I learned to become what I create. I work at certain times of the day in order to take advantage of natural light for photography.  Detail is not about perfection. It's about progression, new found knowledge, & your spirit in translation.

8. Focus. Talk as if you already have a huge audience, even if its just you and some dude in Nebraska.  Quit checking your stats every day. Law of Attraction. You're putting energy into unnecessary shit, so in return, you see the same results. Instead, focus on your content, your craft, your happiness, and that dude in Nebraska who asks you tons of questions on how to become a better pizza thrower. Vengeance and this "haters are my motivators" bullshit is only going to distract you from the purpose you originally had when you first became a blogger.  Focus on the positive & constructive.

9. Honesty. Share your past downfalls when someone asks. I see progression in my writing style and cooking, and how I articulate myself. I believe it's because I AM honest.  I'm proud of my early portfolio. It's a memory of what I knew, and why I did what I did.  Don't be shy. We're all human.

10. Instinct. Do what feels right, not what you think could be. Decline offers that you aren't excited about. I've turned down a few. One in particular wanted me in a contract. Why would I limit myself ? If something doesn't feel right, chances are, it isn't. If you have an amazing idea, don't be bashful. I felt silly about my ideas, and worried what others thought, even though I knew in my heart I can accomplish anything if my heart is in the right place, and I work hard at the things that matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment