Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Coffee Scrub for Cellulite, Skin Tone & Sun Damage




I have been using DIY coffee scrubs for YEARS, and it is a huge part of my skin regimen. It is safe for every day use for your body, and 2x a week for your face, which is recommended for exfoliation. My skin always feels amazing, and it gives my body a little wake up feeling.

Coffee has amazing anti oxidant benefits for your skin. It is a quick, temporary (10-12 hour) fix for cellulite, since it contracts fat cells. It reverses sun damage, evens skin tone, by contracting blood vessels in the face, which causes redness. Many eye creams contain caffeine for these reasons. It also firms skin, without drying it out. Natural oils found in light roasted coffee soften the skin, and doesn't clog pores. It actually reduces blackheads. 

No, you will not have the jitters, or get a caffeine overload! I add a touch of honey to the scrub, for its antibacterial properties, which cleans the pores and helps renew cell structure after scrubbing off the dead stuff. (ew right?)

If you do not have light roast coffee grounds, feel free to use what you have. I don't recommend instant coffee, since it dissolves too quickly. As a body scrub in the shower, it is little messy. If you have a detachable shower head, it's quick clean up. Otherwise, stay close to the faucet, or use it on your face over the sink.

I have never had stains occur from using a coffee scrub. I don't recommend not cleaning up the coffee grounds that wash off in the shower though a week later. (Hey, some people aren't as tidy as I am, but who am I to judge?) As I said, I have never had a problem with staining, but thought I would clarify, since most of us have experienced coffee stains in our cups (baking soda paste will take that out btw)

Recipe:
About 1/4 -1/2 cup coffee ground for entire body.
1 TBS Honey. I use organic, raw honey.
Enough water to make a paste.

Exfoliate for a couple of minutes. Your skin will instantly look so much better and brighter. I know there are times we look in the mirror and think, "eh, I'm having a really bad skin day. My skin looks flushed, and uneven. I've been working hard all week and wish I can bring some life to my face."

This will do that! Using coffee on my skin is my top 3 DIY food related beauty treatments. I have shared this with my friends when we have sleep overs at my place, and even my hubby.

I have used recipes that call for olive oil as well. My skin does feel amazing, but I will warn you it makes your tub a bit slippery. I save the skin healthy oils for my skin right before bedtime, or for just face scrubs that I can rinse off in the sink.

Enjoy!

Amber~


No comments:

Post a Comment